Tuesday, November 27, 2007

Snowy Small Town Idles

There's much I miss living in Hays, America: sushi, family, and a professional theatre community, to name a few, but every now and then a day comes along that makes living in a cultural desert just fine by me. The day before Thanksgiving it snowed for the first time this year. I wrapped Sophie up in layer upon layer of baby sweaters, blankets, and hats, and we strolled over to the local bakery just four blocks from our house. When Carl joined us, we walked up Main Street to an antique store that had just acquired an extensive book collection. We spent a good hour or two browsing the books, finding first editions of C.S. Lewis (Carl) and Robert Penn Warren (Catherine), then ate lunch at the soda shop across the street. After a quick stop at the public library, we all fell into a big bundle on the bed and took a long nap.

Sophie's first snow.

At Augustine's Bakery.

I have to admit, however, one glitch in our perfect day: upon returning home and looking up the two books on the internet, we discovered that our local antique store had grossly overpriced them! Luckily, we hadn't bought them yet, wanting to mull over the prospect of spending our weekly grocery money on books!

2 comments:

Jen K said...

How did I not guess, in all your time in CP, that Carl was a CS Lewis fan? As am I. Oh, the chats we could have had. :(

Sophie is so lovely. I hope we get to meet her one day. :)

Prairie Cate said...

Jen K--you have a blog???? I had no idea. Why didn't you tell me earlier???? I'm going there right now...