Monday, December 10, 2007

A Kansian Christmas

This weekend heralded the beginning of the Christmas season in Hays, America, with a town wide celebration appropriately called "Frost Fest." Freezing rain and slick roads couldn't keep us away, and we spent Friday night experiencing Christmas Past at Historic Fort Hays, where the locals dress up in hoop skirts and calvary coats and host various holiday activities in the extant buildings on the old Fort. The best (and worst) part was riding in a horse drawn wagon across the prairie in the freezing rain. Sunday evening, we hit Main Street for the Christmas parade, which boasted a fire baton twirler and a motorcycle posse decked out in colored lights, among the other more pedestrian floats.


Here we are with Heather and Michael Maiorano. I had to tell Michael I saw Santa Claus in the distance to get him to look at the camera. Just a little white lie. No harm done. Really.

Sometimes I think I live in Stars Hollow. But with a less verbal population.

$1.00 to the first person to get that reference.

5 comments:

Dan said...

That is a reference to the fictional locale of the television show "Gilmore Girls."

And to the fact that everyone in Stars Hollow talks really fast.

Please deliver my dollar in person. We'll be in Abilene for Christmas -- only 10 hours away from Hays!

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&hl=en&geocode=&time=&date=&ttype=&saddr=hays+ks&daddr=abilene+texas&sll=35.675147,-98.525391&sspn=7.387079,14.941406&ie=UTF8&z=6&om=1

Prairie Cate said...

You know, if we weren't going to be in North Carolina, I'd make the drive. Ten hours is nothing out here!

Sallie said...

We're dreaming of a white Christmas but we don't want the snow to start until you arrive safe and sound in N.C. We are so looking forward to your spending the holidays with us. Little Brenna keeps getting Sophie's picture down whenever I tell her Cousin Sophie is coming soon. She smiles because she can't wait to see Uncle Carl and Aunt Catherine. And neither can Grandma. We love you all.
Have a safe trip.

Ivy said...

I'm glad we have Dan to help us with such trivia. I've never seen "Gilmore Girls" so I didn't know about Stars Hollow. But, you know me, I really wanted to win that dollar. Unfortunately, Dan posted the answer before I could even google it. I suppose that would have been cheating anyway.

Jen K said...

Dang. I go a week or so without reading your blog and suddenly money is on the line before I even had a chance. Sigh... I do miss me some Gilmore Girls. And you. I miss me some you.