Friday, February 15, 2008

Talk to the Bib.


I don't know about you, but I have very wonderful memories of Valentine's Day through the years; however, they have nothing to do with boyfriends or even my husband (whose gifts tend to run along the lines of supporting my writing come hell or high water, even if it means taking care of Sophie alone while he has the flu, rather than say, roses and candy). My memories of Valentine's Day are so lovely because of my mother, who used to hand-craft Valentines with us the night before and wake us up to heart shaped waffles and little piles of red wrapped presents in the morning; and my father, who one year when I was away at college sent me a dozen red roses. As result, I've never felt any of the requisite loneliness associated with the holiday. It's just an excuse to throw a little party with your loved ones, whoever they be.

So here's a special thank you to Grandmothers Donno and Sallie who started Sophie off right with sweet Valentine care packages. Whether single, married, or broken-hearted, she will always know she's loved on February 14th.

1 comment:

Sallie said...

Happy Valentine's Day, Sophie-girl! Valentine's Day has always been one of my favorite holidays,too. It holds great childhood memories for me...made by my loving Daddy who always gave each of us kids our old pretty Valentine card and a big box of Whitman's chocolates to share. Then your Daddy and your Uncle Joe made me beautiful handcrafted cards when they were little fellows. I treasure them to this day. Your Papaw MIller always gives me a beautiful card signed "Always my favorite Valentine"....and I have two beautiful granddaughters who have won my heart....so how could I not love Valentine's Day?