Wednesday, August 27, 2008

The Wardrobe

Sophie and I are in Wheaton, Illinois, a picturesque suburb of Chicago, visiting my sister and her family in their new home. One of the attractions of Wheaton is the Wade Center, a museum and library devoted to the works of C.S. Lewis and his contemporaries. The main attraction of this attraction is that it houses a Wardrobe, which inspired THE Wardrobe in The Lion and the Witch and the, well, you know. They've hung fur coats inside, but when we pushed through these, there was no magical winter to be found. I suspect once Sophie is old enough to read the books and we return, that will all change.

Below Sophie searches through one of the drawers in C.S. Lewis's writing desk, looking for a lost manuscript of course.

Here she is hiding underneath the desk upon which Tolkein wrote The Lord of the Rings.

Don't say you weren't warned:

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a cute little girl!
Jenny

Anonymous said...

I love..love...love these pictures and I'm sure your Daddy does as he loves the writings of C.S.Lewis. How great to be crawling through and under the desks of Lewis and Tolkein. I shall save you my copy of the Lion,the witch, and the wardrobe(also one of my favorites). Glad you and Mommy are seeing such interesting places and having a great time. Birthday wishes are in for Mommy. Hug her real tight. And stay as beautiful as you are now..I love you.