Thursday, July 26, 2007

Friends in High Places

My good friend Dan Kois wrote a very kind and affectionate piece about my playwriting for Oxford American Magazine. You can check it out here: http://www.dankois.com/images/oa.jpg

I have a very vivid early memory of Dan. We were in college together, sitting in my first playwriting class. I was anxiously holding my first attempt at playwriting in my hand--an overly obvious scene between an old Democrat lady and a young Republican salesman, I believe--when Dan yanked the scene out of my hand, proceeded to read it without my permission, then announced to the professor that my scene was "really good actually", and we should read it aloud in class. He's been endlessly encouraging and shamelessly promoting my work every since.

Thanks, Dan.

3 comments:

Dan said...

I did that? Jeez, I was kind of totally annoying in college.

But I was right!

Gale M Cansler said...

I have had the fortune of seeing one of "Cate's" screenplays come to life and it was wonderful! She is a great talent as Dan Kois of the Oxford American Magazine writes. Cate is also blessed with a loving husband and a beautiful baby girl. Can she get a blog off the ground? Of course she can! Best wishes to Cate.

Gwydion said...

LOVE the article. Your voice is so clear to me, Daisy. (Can I call you that here?) Thanks, Dan, for giving props where props are most certainly due.