Thursday, October 4, 2007

We are not a napping house

Before Sophie was born, I envisioned writing plays on my laptop while my foot gently rocked my baby to sleep in her cradle. I imagined writing while she dozed in her Moses basket beside me, and writing while her Daddy took her for long walks in the early morning hours. Needless to say, none of these things have ever happened. Mankind has not invented a contraption that my baby will nap in. Not in a bouncy seat, not in a car seat, not in a moses basket, not in a sling. None of things will my baby nap in, no siree.

So we've arranged for some childcare, so I can get some more writing done. It's a great arrangement, and I couldn't be more pleased. Sophie's caretaker is a former elementary school teacher named Stacie who will watch Sophie with her own two daughters, ages 1 and 3. We took a shot of Sophie on her first morning meant to be spent away from her Mommy.

Of course, one hour after dropping Sophie off, Stacie called me to come pick her up again, because her three year old was throwing up. Oh well, we'll try again on Monday.

Fortunately, Carl does not have as much trouble blocking out the sounds of a wailing baby as I do.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

It's nice to know Eli isn't the only one. He's a big fan of being held while napping, which is sweet if I want to nap, too - not so convenient if there is any work to be done. It gets a little better as they get older, but not much.

Your blog is so interesting. Hope to see some wedding pictures soon. Love the stories, Ivy

Unknown said...

It's clearly a parenting issue...only kidding! She's just a brilliant baby and doesn't want to waste any time sleeping during the day...

Anonymous said...

You need Grandma's shoulder and our old faithful "rocking chair" and we could show Mommy what "good napping" is all about. Wish I was there to hold you, my precious Sophie-girl. I love reading Brenna the book from Aunt Catherine about the napping house. When you come, I will hold you both on my lap in the rocking chair and read it and then we'll all nap. OK?

Love from Grandma in N.C.