Monday, October 15, 2007

We are still not a napping house...

Today, instead of taking two naps, Sophie has cried for two forty-five minute sessions: once with her babysitter and once with me. Having browsed the Ferber book (I didn't actually read it but feel, having scanned the chapter on naps while holding a murmuring baby on my hip at the local crappy bookstore that's really not a bookstore but actually a movie rental store, I am definitely an expert), I think the problem is she sleeps too long at night: 12-13 hours. According to Dr. Ferber, 12-13 hours of sleep is all a baby needs total and therefore, sleeping too long at night may pose problems at nap time.

Allow me to ask you this, dear readers: would you wake a sleeping baby up at 6am on a cold Kansas morning so that she might sleep better during the day?

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Hmmm...I don't know about 6 am, but I think kids generally do better with a regular schedule. And if that means waking them up, so be it. Why not 7 am?

Ivy said...

No way! I never wake a sleeping baby.
-Ivy

Sean said...

Never Wake A Sleeping Baby.

It's been pounded in to me, and I believe it. Don't worry about the schedule, if she's got cues and a system then you can control her schedule later. If she's sleeping 12 hours at night and not napping much... I mean, that's okay, right? Is she unhappy? If she's sleeping through, you guys are probably getting enough sleep at night, right?

Prairie Cate said...

We do get plenty of night sleep, which has been the primary blessing of the Sophie experience. However, she really needs day sleep, cause she gets terribly fussy/inconsolable/pain-in-the-butt otherwise. I have been getting her up at 7 the past couple of days (or rather keeping her up; she wakes up at 7 to nurse but in the past has fallen back to sleep), but it's too soon to tell if it's helping. Yesterday was hell but today she's down for two hours and counting. I'll let everyone know how it goes! Thanks for the input!