Tuesday, August 21, 2007

High-Ho-the-Derry-O

Carl's father, Carl, Jr., spent two weeks with us in July in order to help Carl build a new front porch. Here he is with Sophie on the Fourth of July with the porch-in-progress.

And here's the finished product. We still need to paint the front door red, but hopefully that will happen this week-end.

Admire the craftsmanship, won't you?

And yes, I did put my baby in overalls today. I think they're very cute, but maybe I've been in Kansas a little too long... I know one thing is certain: Donno (my mother) will not approve.

9 comments:

Unknown said...

oh, give me a home where the buffalo roam...

It looks great - did you have to replace the supporting structure, too?

Prairie Cate said...

Yes. When we took off the floor, we discovered what Carl calls "creative carpentry." All the woodwork is new, including the columns, which Carl built to match our interior columns.

Donno said...

Dear Catherine, The porch looks great! You did a great Job! But please take down that screen door!
Love, Mother

Ivy said...

A red door will look great. I am very impressed with the craftsmanship. Carl has the most extensive skill set of anyone I know. Sophie, I think you look cute in overalls.

Prairie Cate said...

Unless you count the ability to make phone calls and a sense of direction "skill sets". :)

Sean said...

That porch puts every do-it-yourself-er to shame. It's absolutely gorgeous. And, I have to admit, I put my little Barnaby in overalls and I think they're adorable. I guess living in Queens, I don't have to worry about the provincial implications...

HeyBlue said...

The porch looks good. The columns and railing match well. Now about that screen door. Donno is correct, it needs to go. And about this red door idea... you planning on running a Lutheran Church on Sundays are you?

HeyBlue said...

By the way, I meant to mention that I love the overalls on Lil Sophie. She's absolutely adorable.

Anonymous said...

I love the porch and am so glad that Carl, Jr. was able to come and help. He loved spending time with all of you and was quite proud of the craftsmanship. A red door will be great. Papaw is a big fan of overalls so naturally he loved to see them on our little princess.
Love, Mama in N.C.